Dental bridges are a method used by dentists to fill a gap created by a missing tooth made up of two dental crowns for the teeth on either side of the gap and a false tooth in between.
Types of Dental Bridges There are three main types of dental bridges, depending on materials used to make dental crowns as follows:
- All Ceramic bridge It is all made of ceramic, without any mix of metal, and especially adapted for front teeth requiring beauty, as it is clear, beautiful and looks like natural teeth.
- All metal bridge It is made of the same kind of metal alloy in one piece and thus strong and withstands chewing well.
- Porcelain fused to metal bridge The bridge use metal as an internal core and fused by porcelain on the outside.
The Dental Bridge Procedure:
- Filing down the principle teeth to accommodate the bridge, under local Anastasia.
- Taking impression of the teeth, and send the impression to a laboratory for a dental technician to produce a dental bridge.
- Fixing a temporary bridge for use about 5-7 days.
- After the 5-7 days, the dentist tries the dental bridge piece, and adjusts it for proper chewing of the patient.
- Fixing the dental bridge permanently with dental cement.
Observation and care after a dental bridge
- Filing a tooth all round under the effect of local area anaesthetic.
- Impression of the tooth as a mould for a tooth and send it to a laboratory for a dental technician to prepare a crown.
- Set in place a temporary crown for 5-7 days use.
- After 5-7 days, the dentist tries the crown for its fitness, adjusting it for normal bite of the patient.
- Fixing the crown permanently with dental cement.
Observation and care after a crown is placed
- Avoid chewing hard food at the position of the dental bridge for a period of 24 hours.
- There is the possibility of sensitiveness or swollen gum in some cases. The said discomfort will disappear soon by itself and you can avoid the problems by
- Washing your mouth with salt solution after each tooth brushing.
- Avoiding drinking or eating very cold food.
- Should avoid chewing hard food such as ice, soft bone, hard beans, in the case of ceramic bridge or porcelain fused to metal bridge as the ceramic may crack or break.
- Recommended to brush teeth after each meal and floss at least once a day.
- Visit a dentist every 6 months for dental check-up.