A dental crown is a teeth repair by employing a dentistry piece work designed in the shape of a tooth and place over a tooth which has been filed around under the following cases:
- A crack in a tooth and beginning to feel sensitive while taking meal.
- A tooth with large cavity filling.
- A broken or chipped tooth from usage or accident.
- A tooth after root canal treatment.
- A deformed or misshapen tooth.
- A misaligned set of teeth.
- Refurnished and repaired level of teeth for normal bite.
- As a composite part in dental bridge or artificial implant.
Types of Dental Crowns Dental crowns are of 3 main types::
- All ceramic crown is a crown made of only ceramic, without any metal part, appropriate for teeth to show beauty, because of its clarity, beauty and nature-like.
- All Metal crown is made from same type of metal alloy in one piece, thus strong and unbreakable.
- Porcelain fused to metal crown, using metal as core and covered outside by ceramic.
Preparing a tooth for a crown
- Filling a tooth all round under the effect of local area anaesthetic.
- Impression of the tooth as a mould for a tooth and send it to a laboratory for a dental technician to prepare a crown.
- Set in place a temporary crown for 5-7 days use.
- After 5-7 days, the dentist tries the crown for its fitness, adjusting it for normal bite of the patient.
- Fixing the crown permanently with dental cement.
Observation and care after a crown is placed
- Avoid chewing hard food at the position of the crowned teeth for a period of 24 hours after the crown is placed,
- There is the possibility of sensitiveness or swollen gum in some cases. The said discomfort will disappear soon by itself and you can avoid the problems by
- Washing your mouth with salt solution after each tooth brushing.
- Avoiding drinking or eating cold or very hot food.
- Should avoid biting hard food such as ice, soft bone, hard beans, in the case of ceramic crown or porcelain fused to metal crown as it can crack or break.
- Recommended to brush teeth after each meal and floss at least once a day.
- Visit a dentist every 6 months for dental check-up.